DIVISION OF STUDENT SERVICES
Student and Campus Life
Student and Campus Life at Reed reflects Student Service's mission to "promote student success and wellbeing, and to foster an inclusive Reed community." We invite you to join us in developing honorable, inclusive, and inquisitive communities at Reed.
The Departments of Student and Campus Life (SCL)
The Pillars of Student and Campus Life
In our work we are guided by a shared sense of purpose, demonstrated by the Student and Campus Life Pillars.
Honor and Community Sustainability
- SCL recognizes that honor and the honor principle are foundational to the development of community at Reed, especially community that builds upon the prior experiences of all community members, intentionally provides opportunities for community members to reflect on these experiences, and explicitly expects community members to grow as individuals.
- Restorative justice processes employed by the departments in SCL allow all community members the opportunity to reflect on the ways their honorable and dishonorable behaviors may affect their community, and to provide restitution that rebuilds their communities and provides opportunities for continued growth.
- SCL offers a growing number of opportunities to Reed community members to engage politically, participate in transformative action, and perform service that includes opportunities for growth via reflection.
- SCL is committed to contributing to the development of a culture of service at Reed, that includes community members developing and completing service projects that allow them to engage in activites that address a variety of social inequities, reflect on their own privilege and opportunities, and experience personal growth relative to leadership and community engagement.
Inclusive Dialogue and Inquiry
- Across the departments in SCL, we aim to provide students with opportunities to critically examine their own assumptions and knowledge regarding their own and other identifies, cultures, and ways of being.
- The departments in SCL encourage formal and informal critical conversations and intensive inquiry regarding identity, as well as privelege and social justice concepts.
Praxis and Co-Curricular Engagement
- Our community's deep respect and passion for learning are potentially less useful if that learning remains purely theoretical. SCL departments provide students with practical opportunities to engage and expand upon the learning associated with the academic curriculum.
- SCL departments believe that the life of the mind includes using knowledge in ways that challenge and reshape the social status quo. Our co-curricular programming is designed to encourage students to critically engage curricular scholarship.
More about the Departments of Student and Campus Life
Multicultural Affairs seeks to create and sustain an inclusive campus environment that meets the needs of all members. This is accomplished through campus programming, facilitating constructive dialogues, and supporting all students as they explore the intersection of identities.
Residence Life oversees the comprehensive program that surrounds the experience of living on-campus in a residence hall or other college housing option. With an extensive team of professional staff and student staff, Residence Life coordinates community focused programming and a safe and welcoming environment for students in the residence halls.
Student Activities strives to nurture cross-campus involvment and to foster the intentional development of the whole student. We do this through support of student senate and student groups, and through programs such as Gray Fund, Reed Arts Week, and the Leadership and Involvement Series.