Staff Policies and Procedures Manual
P. Domestic partner benefits
The employee and domestic partner are sharing a long-term committed relationship of indefinite duration with only one another, have not affirmed another qualifying domestic partner within the previous six months, and meet all the following requirements:
- have lived together for at least six (6) months;
- have an exclusive mutual commitment and are responsible for each other's common welfare;
- are both 18 years of age or older;
- neither is married to anyone; neither has another domestic partner;
- share the same regular and permanent residence with the intent of continuing to do so indefinitely;
- are not related by blood closer than would bar marriage in the state of Oregon;
- were both mentally competent to consent to contract when the committed partnership began;
Share joint financial responsibility for basic living expenses and have, and can provide documentation if asked, for at least four (4) of the following:
- joint, with right of survivorship, mortgage, deed, rental or lease agreement;
- joint, with right of survivorship, ownership of a vehicle;
- joint, with right of survivorship, ownership of a checking account, credit account, and/or other financial instruments and accounts;
- designation of the domestic partner as a primary beneficiary for the employee's life insurance or retirement benefits;
- designation of the domestic partner as a primary beneficiary of the employee's will;
of the domestic partner as holding power of attorney for health care.
A child must be a dependent of the employee in accordance with IRS regulations and be claimed as a dependent (IRS QD) on the employee’s last tax return in order to be eligible for Reed College benefits.
The insurance benefits available to domestic partners include: health and dental insurance, supplemental life insurance and voluntary accidental death and dismemberment. The insurance benefits not available to domestic partners include the health and dependent care banks.
last revised: 7/1/2007
last reviewed: 2/13/2012