Automatic Proxy Configuration
for the Remote Access Proxy server
Note: Due to limitations in Safari and Internet Explorer, we currently only support Firefox for use with the automatic proxy.
- Open up Firefox.
- Open the Preferences window.
- on a Mac, click the Firefox menu, and choose Preferences.
- on a PC, click the Tools menu, and choose Options.
- Click the Advanced icon at the top right.
- Click the Network tab. You'll see the "Connection" area near the top of this window. Where it says "Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet" click the Settings... button.
- In the window that pops up, click the button to select Automatic proxy configuration URL.
- Type http://www.reed.edu/cgi-bin/pac.cgi on the blank line, and then click OK. Click on the red button to close out of the advanced settings window.
- Completely close your browser.
- For Mac users, go to the Firefox menu and choose Quit Firefox.
- For PC users, close all Firefox browser windows.
The next time you start Firefox, it will automatically use the Remote Access Proxy server.
- Go to Settings and click on Wi-Fi.
- Click on the little blue arrow next to the network you're connected to.
- Look for the HTTP Proxy section near the bottom and click on Auto.
- In the URL box, enter: http://www.reed.edu/cgi-bin/pac.cgi
- You may need to turn off Wi-Fi and back on again before the proxy will work.
Note: Some non-browser apps that use http (like Bookends on Tap, for example) may not work properly when the proxy is enabled.
Now that you're all configured, head to the library's site and check out some of the resources available to you. If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7525.back to top