How to Migrate Your Reed Email to Gmail
Reed is adopting Gmail! Have questions? Want to learn why? Check out our FAQ page.
Before you begin the migration process, here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Although you can start sending and receiving email immediately, it can take several hours or longer for your existing messages to be migrated to Gmail, depending on how much email you have and where you fall in the migration queue. If you have old emails that you no longer need, delete them and empty the trash before you migrate to help speed up the process.
- New emails will arrive in your Reed Gmail account as soon as you start the migration process. You can immediately access them and send new email from the web at mail.reed.edu, or by configuring the new account on your mail client or mobile device.
- Do not move or delete messages in your old Reed account while the migration is underway, as this could cause messages to be skipped during the migration. You can use your new Reed Gmail account to send and receive emails without causing any problems for the migration.
- Mail filters will need to be re-created when the migration is complete. Please follow our post migration instructions to set them back up.
- Shared mailboxes are not supported in Gmail. CIS has identified a couple of solutions and will be contacting the departments that use them to identify the best method. If you are using a shared mailbox, please consult with CUS before migrating.
- The tagging state of messages will not persist after the migration (for example, if you tagged a message as Important in Thunderbird or flagged a message by color in Apple Mail). If the preservation of tags is necessary, you can move all of those emails to a new folder prior to migrating. Once migration is complete, you can re-tag those messages and move them back to your Inbox or appropriate folder.
First, make sure you have read the important points above. When you're ready to migrate to Gmail, follow the instructions below. Note: CUS will be contacting department heads to schedule the migration of administrative offices over the summer.
If you have any questions or concerns about the migration process, please contact CUS before taking any action!
- Log into IRIS from this link: https://iris.reed.edu/email_prefs/update/delivery
- Choose the the delivery option that says "(New) Your Reed Gmail account" and then press the Update delivery preference button.
- Your migration is added to the queue. To see your status, visit our migration status page and click 'My Migration' at the top right. Depending on how many emails you have and where you fall in the queue, it can take many hours for your emails to be fully migrated.
- While the migration is under way, you may access your new Reed Gmail account in the following ways:
- After making the switch to Gmail, please follow our post migration instructions.