Alumni & Parents

eliot imageblum imagesnyder imageface image

Reed College Facilities

Last updated August 2005



Cerf Amphitheatre
Architect: National Youth Admin.
Completion Date: 1936

Chapel
Architect: A.E. Doyle
Completion Date: 1912 (renovated in 1992)

Cooley Art Gallery
Architect: Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
Completion Date: 1989

Cross Canyon Bridge
Architect: Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
Completion Date: 1991

Dorothy Johansen House (now home to the Academic Resource Center)
Architect: James C. Payne
Completion Date: 1952 (renovated in 1956, 1975)

Educational Technology Center
Architect: Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
Completion Date: 2002

Eliot Hall
Architect: A.E. Doyle
Completion Date: 1912

Gray Center (originally Community Center)
Architect: Harry Weese & Assoc., Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
Completion Date: 1965 (renovated in 1997)

Greywood
Architect: Walter L. Gordon
Completion Date: 1946

Griffin Biology/ Knowlton Physics
Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Completion Date: 1959 (renovated in 2001)

Hauser Library
Pietro Belluschi
1930 (additions in 1945, 1963, 1989, 2002)

Kaul Auditorium
Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
1998

Prexy (originally President's House, now Music)
A.E. Doyle
1915

Psychology (originally Chemistry, became Psychology in 1995)
Pietro Belluschi
1949 (renovated in 1962, 1992)

Quiett Health and Counseling Center
Carl H. Wallwork
1938 (addition 1960)

Reactor (part of Psychology)
General Atomic
1968

Scott Chemistry
Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
1992

Student Union
A.E. Doyle
1921 (built as the Commons dining hall - became the student union in 1965)

Studio Arts
Griggs, Lee & Ruff
1979 (addition in 2001)

Theatre
Broome, Selig & Oringdulph
1972

Vollum College Center
Farnham & Oliver
1981 (addition in 1988)

Watzek Sports Center
Harry Weese & Assoc.
1965 (renovated in 2001)

Residence Halls

Anna Mann
Architect: A.E. Doyle
Completion Date: 1920 (addition in 1992)
Current Status: coed
Capacity: 30

Bragdon
Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
1998
coed
Capacity: 64

Chinese House
unknown
purchased in 1986
coed
Capacity: 7

Chittick
Neil Farnham, '40
1959
coed
Capacity: 25

Foster-Scholz
Belluschi and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
1959 (renovated in 1995)
coed
Capacity: 89

Garden House
unknown
purchased in 1994
coed
Capacity: 10

Griffin
Farnham & Peck
1962
coed
Capacity: 26

MacNaughton
Belluschi and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
1954 (named in 1959, renovated in 1996)
coed
Capacity: 68

McKinley
Farnham & Peck
1962
coed
Capacity: 25

Old Dorm Block
A.E. Doyle
1912 (renovated in 1991)
coed
Capacity: 158

Reed College Apartments
unknown
purchased in 1986
coed
Capacity: 56

Steele East and West
Michael & Kuhns
1997
coed
Capacity: 157

Woodbridge
Farnham & Peck
1962
coed
Capacity: 27

Woodstocks I, II, III, & IV
A.E. Doyle
1920
language theme houses
Capacity: 26

Total capacity 768 (2002)

Vanished Buildings

Akerman Dormitory (Cross Canyon Men's Dormitory)
1959-1997
One of the three men's dorms removed to build Bragdon Hall, named in honor of the long-time faculty member, Clement Akerman, economics professor 1920-43. In layout and style, it was the same as the remaining Chittick and Woodbridge dorms.

Art Dome (Buckminster Fuller Geodesic Dome)
1963-1979
This 39' dome made of triangular panels of prefabricated plywood and fiberglass insulation sat on a platform near the Art Studio in front of the old chemistry building entrance in the "Art Grove". It served as a sculpture studio for art students, who at one point painted the panels bright colors

Art Studio (Art Shack, Calligraphy Studio, Ceramics Studio, Printshop)
1947(?) - 1979
This small rectangular war surplus building with windows was moved in front of the old Commons (now the Student Union) where it served as an art studio and informal lecture room. In 1963, it was moved over to the "Art Grove" facing north towards the old chemistry building and just east of the Art Dome. Extended on the west for a print shop and on the southeast for a kiln and drying studio, it was a long-time home of calligraphy classes under Lloyd Reynolds and Robert Palladino.

Botsford Auditorium (Botsford Theatre/Gym)
1947-1964
The Theatre-Gym was added just north of the old Gymnsium to provide a new full-size gymnasium floor for basketball and an auditorium for plays. It was the "recreation hall" part of the war surplus buildings moved from Bagley Downs in Vancouver (the old Faculty Office Building being the other half). The Reed Theater-Gym was renamed "Botsford Auditorium" in Charles S. Botsford's honor in 1950; he was the P.E. Director from 1915 to 1952. Botsford Drive was named in 1965 after demolition.

Coleman Dormitory (Cross Canyon Men's Dormitory)
1959-1997
One of the three men's dorms removed to build Bragdon Hall, named in honor of a long-time faculty member and college president, Norman F. Coleman, English professor, 1911-1919, 1934-1939, Reed president 1925-1934. In layout and style, it was the same as the remaining Chittick and Woodbridge dorms.

Fish Hatchery
1913-1916
This fish experiment station, or experimental fish hatchery, was a smallish, rectangular building where the pool was built later. It was under the direction of Harry Beal Torrey, a biology professor at Reed 1911-1920.

Foot Bridge (Cantilevered foot bridge)
1959-1991
The Arthur M. Churchill Memorial bridge was built in 1959 to connect the campus to the new cross canyon dorms and was the second bridge to cross the canyon. A straight bridge 132 feet long and 15 feet high, there were steps down to it on either side. It featured stressed plywood girders, the first time this construction had been used on a span of this size.

Foster-Scholz Dormitories (War Surplus "Cardboard Castle")
1947-1958
These two men's dormitory buildings were War Surplus structures from Columbia Heights set up for war veteran male students. They were temporary buildings placed close to where Studio Art is now. Configured somewhat like Griffin-McKinley, the central connecting block was not demolished in 1958 and served as storage and then the student print shop for a time.

Gymnasium
1913-1965
The original Reed gymnasium was a wooden building designed by A.E. Doyle in the Tudor Gothic style; it served all the indoor PE needs of the community. After 1947 and the advent of the Botsford Theatre/Gym, it was called the Women's Gym. Its main court was 50' x 75' with a stage at one end, and it also had squash and racketball courts, a shooting range, and many other facilities. It was located about where Kaul Auditorium is now.

Metal Workshop
1971-1979
Located in the "Art Grove" between the westernmost Woodstock house and the Art Dome, this was an old rectangular garage refitted for art faculty and students involved in welding and metal sculpture. It was located just east of the old Faculty Office Building with road access.

Outdoor Pool
1929-2000
The Reed swimming pool was the scene of many picnics and student gatherings, and the only swimming pool on campus until the Watzek Sports Center was built in 1965. It was removed due to its poor physical shape.

Sisson Dormitory (Cross Canyon Men's Dormitory)
1959-1997
One of the three men's dorms removed to build Bragdon Hall, named in honor of the long-time faculty member, Edward O. Sisson, philosophy professor 1911-1943. In layout and style, it was the same as the remaining Chittick and Woodbridge dorms.

Student Print Shop
1972-1979
This small building was located near the site of the current Studio Art building, probably part of the original old war surplus dormitory called Foster-Scholz.

Student Union, see Theatre/Old Student Union

Theatre/Old Student Union
1938/39-1969
The original Student Union was built in part by the students and student fees. It housed many student activities over its lifetime including the bookstore, plays, and student offices. It became a fulltime theatre in 1964/65 when the old Commons became the Student Union and the new commons (Community Center) was opened. It burned down in 1969.

World War I Barracks
1918-1919
Built according to blueprints from Ft. Lewis as a 2 story 200 man company barrack by the War Department, it was demolished in 1919 before completion. Placed near Woodstock to the east of the main entrance road.


Sources: Reed College Compendium of Information and the Reed College Archives. Thanks to the Office of Institutional Research and the Archives!